Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Throwback Tuesday: Monterey, CA

This post is loooong overdue!  This past March I had an amazing opportunity to attend a training class in Monterey, California.  If you haven't been there...you must add it to your list of must-visit places.  The weather, the food, the people, the shopping, the view....all of it is insane.  I would move there in a heartbeat! I was there for an entire week of training, but I was fortunate to have two full days of free time.  My Aunt and cousins from Stockton, CA were kind enough to pick me up from the airport and spent one of my free days with me.  As they are members of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we spent a lot of our day there (such an amazing place!).  We also poked around on one of the piers, did the 17 mile drive in Pebble Beach (more to come on that!) and I finally got to eat at a Bubba Gumps :-) 

At the Aquarium
At the Aquarium
um...hello! this view? gorgeous! Doesn't it just make you want to curl up in a sweater and eat some chowder?  :-)
On my OTHER free day, I booked a whale watching tour (I highly recommend Chris's Whale Watching).  Now this is were it gets crazy cool.  While I did see a great whale (breathtaking!), we also ran into hundreds (no exaggeration here), HUNDREDS of dolphins. The ship captain estimated around 300-400 dolphins and stated that for every 1 dolphin you see above water they anticipate at least three below the water. With it still being March, and with the winds on the ocean...it was FREEZING on the boat.  (Side note: I am officially transitioned to Florida weather...I'm cold all the time outside of this state).  Because I was so cold...my iphone was having trouble recognizing my finger as it was pressing the buttons to take pictures....that's right...NO pictures of the great whale.  BUT, I was able to capture a few videos of the dolphins.   Happy viewing!

This video was shot as we were first approaching the dolphins...it looked like a random wave out in the distance...and as we got closer to the dolphins...the passenger next to me exclaimed (in a very British accent) "not a wave...look, it's dolphins - they're playing about in the water!"





No comments:

Post a Comment