Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pinterest: I Did It! - Canastitas Caprese

Canastitas Caprese

Over the weekend I finally took the plunge and created something I had pinned off of Pinterest, and it was DELICIOUS!  I wanted to share some of my tips from cooking this recipe originally found (and pinned!) from here: http://www.hispanickitchen.com

First, here is the original recipe for 12 servings:

12 Empanada Shells
3 Small Tomatoes - Chopped
6 oz Mozzarella Cheese - Diced
10 Basil Leaves - Thinly Sliced
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to Taste

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Form a ½-inch pleat by pinching together the side of the empanada shell. Fold the pleat over and press firmly against the edge of the dough. Continue to pleat and fold the empanada shell in this manner until it forms a basket shape. Place it on the baking sheet, covered with a slightly dampened dish towel. Repeat the shaping process with the rest of the empanada shells. Evenly divide half of the cheese cubes among the canastitas, followed by all of the tomato and basil.  Sprinkle a tiny pink of salt and a grind of pepper over each one.  Top the canastitas with the remaining cheese.  Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until everything turns a light golden brown.  Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. 

I spent a loooong time at the grocery store trying to find empanada shells.  I finally located them in the frozen foods section - except that I wanted to make this dish as soon as I got home.  So I also grabbed a package of Pillsbury pie crust from the refrigerated section.  I made the recipe as soon as I got home with the pie crusts and again the next day (yes, they were THAT good) with the actual empanada shells. After making them both ways here is my revised (and preferred) recipe:

1 Pkg of Pillsbury Pie Crusts (Refrigerated kind with 2 crusts)
2 Small Tomatoes - De-Seeded and Chopped (I then sprinkled them slightly with salt to pull out excess water and then patted them down with a paper towel)
6 oz Mozzarella - (I actually bought an 8 oz pkg of tiny mozzarella balls-no dicing required!)
10 Basil Leaves - Here's a tip: After washing your leaves, pat them dry and then place them one on top of another...roll up very tightly and slice-it is much easier to get your leaves thinly sliced and they look beautiful!
1/2 tbsp Olive Oil - I placed my thinly sliced basil leaves in a small cup with the olive oil to add some additional flavoring. 
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to Taste

Aren't they just so cute?!  :-)
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll out your pie crust (one at a time so they don't dry out) and I used a large coffee mug to make my circular cut outs.  These will create much smaller "bowls" then the empanada shells, so you will also not need as much filling.  Then start to make your pleats as the original recipe stated.  I first filled the bottom of the shell with a pinch of the basil and then continued to follow the original recipe.  I found adding the basil at both the bottom and the top of the canastitas it added a lot of fresh flavor.  They were SO delicious and I know both Jordan and I are anxious to eat them again soon! :-)  Enjoy!

YUM!

2 comments: